Vacation has been great so far. Beautiful weather, swimming in the pool, and the baby has been sleeping like an angel!
Yesterday we spent a few hours at the beach. It was Lucas’ first time. He sat under the umbrella watching the ocean, while his brother buried himself in the sand.
Going to the beach with children can be very tiring. Here are a few tips that will make your trip fun and stress-free:
2. Bring a first aid kit. Little toes can be cut by seashells. Knees can be scraped. Basically, when children are involved someone is getting a boo boo. If you do not have a first aid kit make sure to bring lots of band aids in different sizes.
3. Apply sunblock before getting to the beach. You might not apply as well as if you did it at home or in your hotel. Remember, you need to reapply. Sunblock will wear off. Protect your skin! Infants are usually under an umbrella for most of their beach adventure, but that does not mean they should not be protected. Sun can reflect off of the water and give your baby a sunburn.
4. Hydration: make sure you have cold water. Remind your children to drink at least every 30 minutes. For infants, you can give them a cold water bottle to play with. For older babies you can give them sips of water if it is very hot. Check with our doctor before taking your trip. Remember, hats keep the sun off their face, but can be very hot. Also, swim shirts are hot. Basically, be aware of the temperature and how it is affecting your children.
6. Beach rules. Make sure the children understand the beach rules, depending on their ages. Always make it a rule that everyone tell you when they are going into the water.
7. Bring extra clothes, even for infants. Sand can be very irritating and a change of clothes will help.
8. Have the kids dig a hole when you first arrive. It will keep them occupied while you set up your area and it might lead to some pretty cool sand castles.
9. Arrive early in the morning. You will find there are fewer people, which will help you monitor your little ones. This is extremely helpful if you have a child who is a runner.
10. Bring baby powder. Baby powder is amazing for taking sand off of you. It is gentle and you will find the sand will come right off. This is especially good for sand in delicate areas (example: baby bottoms).